Popularised by “Jaws” movie as the ultimate sea monster the great white is a beautiful creature. It is scary but a natural marvel.It is found in coastal surface waters of all oceans. It is a frequent sight on Australian coastal waters. It is a big animal measuring 26 feet. It reaches maturity at 15 years and lives a long life up to 70 years. It is one of the largest predators of the sea.
Fun facts about great white:
- Weight – Weighing 5000 lbs it is one of the heaviest creatures. It is not the largest shark, but the most aggressive one.
- Diet – Its natural prey are seals and sea bulls. they are carnivorous and even eat dead animals. Hence they qualify as scavengers as well. They keep the water clean as indicated by a recent study by national geographic.
- The baby – A weird fact about the shark bay known as pup is that it swallows its own teeth. Measuring at 4-5 feet the pup can take care of itself since birth.
- Sensory facts – The great white can sense one drop of blood in 100 litres of water. Armed with this sense and great olfactory senses it is one of the dreadful predators of the oceans.
- Endangered – The killing of the great whites have made it very close to extinction. It is a species being conserved now as few are left.
- Speed – The great white are very good and quick swimmers. Speeds of 24 km/hr can test most of their preys.
- Weapons – The greatest weapon are its jaws. Armed with over 500 teeth it can actually slice through its prey.